Wednesday, November 7, 2007

[Review] Geylang Lorong 9 Beef Kway Teow

It’s not just about their signature dish
By Mavis Ang

When a hawker food stall is named after their signature dish, I can’t help but think that nothing else on their menu would be good. However, my parents and I ended up ordering four other dishes because we needed to make the trip to faraway Geylang worthwhile – by stuffing ourselves to the max.

Judging simply by the pictures on the menu, we picked the essential Beef Kway Teow, Stir Fried Chicken Wings with Spicy Salt, Thai Style Tofu, Stir Fried Sprout-lings, and Pork Ribs. It added up to $45, and for such a grand feast for three persons, that’s a pretty good price.

As we were there pretty early in the evening (about 5pm), orders were served within 10 minutes, even before I had taken in the sights fully. Sitting at a roadside table among narrow streets and rows of old shop houses reminds me of Bangkok, and this took my Geylang meal to a whole new eating experience, as if I was on a little holiday with my family.

Located at 237 (Lorong 9) Geylang, this hawker stall is open from 11am to 3am everyday except Mondays, when they open at 5pm. Unless you’re in Geylang for other activities, be sure to plan an early dinner at the Lorong 9’s Beef Kway Teow stall as it gets crowded and waiting hours are much longer later into the night.

To read more about this food review, visit 88DB Lifestyle.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin